Partnering for Success
Building better futures with The Prince's Trust
04 Jul 2017 - Estimated reading time: 3 mins
Supporting young people
Last year, Hymans Robertson partnered with The Prince’s Trust in Scotland to support the delivery of employability and financial skills to young people who are struggling to find their way in the world.
Achieving our aims of partnership through a combination of financial donation and staff volunteering, we have:
- Directly supported 40 young people as part of the Prince’s Trust TEAM programme. 13 volunteers from our Edinburgh office delivered 4 collaborative sessions at their centre in Wester Hailes, Edinburgh, covering how to write a CV, how to interview well, and how to manage personal finance.
- Indirectly supported a further 47 young people through the Prince’s Trust Achieve and TEAM programmes.
We initially agreed a one year partnership, and the opportunity to review the impact Hymans Robertson could make with such a large charity. From the very first workshop run by our volunteers, feedback from them and, importantly, from the young people taking part, has been overwhelmingly positive. In less than 12 months we have been able to impact, directly and indirectly, far greater numbers than we imagined possible.
“Once the session was underway, I felt an instant connection to these people and found their personalities shone through as the session went on. The group were remarkably engaging and responded well to the material, which completely exceeded my expectations.”
“I enjoyed the challenge of trying to find the correct way to engage and support the different members of the group, who had varying personal circumstances.”
“I learned that it wasn't just about delivering my session but supporting the other volunteers with their session too. In turn, the people in the room seemed to interact well with us and shared a lot of insight with us.”
Feedback from the Prince’s Trust Young People:
“I learnt how to properly compose a CV”
“It helped with what you need [to do] to find a job”
“I learned why you need a cover letter”
“It gave me more options/perspective”
“I knew that I could budget but not to this extent”
“I learned new ways of managing money”
“Helped me realise the sooner you make a habit with saving, the better”
“Taught me about the basics of saving and budgeting”
...helped me realise the sooner you make a habit with saving, the better
Young Person - The Prince's Trust
We are excited to renew our partnership with The Prince’s Trust for 2017/18, helping them to help more young people build better futures.
Our aims for the next 12 months are:
- Create a legacy by incorporating key elements of the Hymans Robertson Foundation Financial Literacy ‘money management’ resource into the Prince’s Trust money management material, for their TEAM (for age 16-25 years) and Achieve (for age 13-19 years) programmes
- Continue to offer skilled volunteering opportunities in Edinburgh, focusing on financial education and employability skills
- Extend the skilled volunteering opportunities into the Glasgow area
- Ensuring better futures aren’t left down to chance
We want to say a huge thank to all our employee volunteers who support us in our charity partnerships and objectives, helping make a difference in the lives of others.
Celebrating success in Scotland
You can the read inspiring stories of The Prince’s Trust ‘Celebrate Success’ Scotland finalists here: Celebrate Success in Scotland